Congress is currently considering including $400 billion for Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) in the larger infrastructure bill. This investment would help older adults, people with disabilities, and care workers across the country live and age with dignity in their own homes and communities.
WHY SUPPORT AN INVESTMENT IN HOME AND COMMUNITY-BASED SERVICES?
- It allows people to age at home in supportive communities – which is what most of us want for ourselves and our loved ones.
- It saves money – without it, people end up in institutions like nursing homes or hospitals.
- It creates jobs – home care is one of the fastest-growing professions in the country, but the demand is still higher than the supply. Investing in this workforce is critical.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- Send a letter to you representative telling them to support the $400 billion investment for Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS). Templates available via Justice in Aging (click here) and Caring Across Generations (click here).
- Post on social media (Click here for a toolkit)
- Check out other great organizations who are advocating for older adults, people with disabilities, and those who care for them:
- Coalition of Texans with Disabilities (https://www.txdisabilities.org/)
- Justice in Aging (https://justiceinaging.org/)
- Caring Across Generations (https://caringacross.org/)
- PHI (http://phinational.org/)