Housing Crisis: Get Help, Stay Informed
The impact of COVID-19 runs much deeper than battling the virus itself. We’re also facing one of the most severe housing crises in United States history. While Austin-Travis County has extended local eviction protections until April 1, we want to supply additional resources available to those who need support.
If you are part of the vast number of individuals and families experiencing or facing homelessness or know someone who is, here are several steps you can take today:
- The Texas Rent Relief Program from the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) will begin accepting applications from tenants and landlords at 8 a.m. CST on February 15, 2021. TDHCA will help those who meet eligibility requirements with unpaid rent and utility bills dating back to March 13, 2020.
Visit texasrentrelief.com or call 1-833-9TX-RENT (1-833-989-7368) to learn more. Call centers are currently open Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CST. Help is available in multiple languages.
- Find out if you qualify for support through Family Eldercare. Funding provided through the CARES Act allows us to help individuals who have been enrolled in a homeless program in the past two years. The next priority group includes those at-risk for homelessness. To complete the Family Eldercare CARES Screening Tool, you can email email@example.com or call 512-483-3580.
You will need the following to start the screening process:
- Current rental lease
- Gross income for the last 30 days
- Visit www.stoptxeviction.org to understand your rights and the eviction process and locate rental assistance to get caught up.
Referrals to Other Programs
The following agencies provide Rapid Rehousing, Permanent Supportive Housing or other permanent housing programs:
- Austin Tenants Council
- Caritas of Austin – Best Single Source Plus Rapid Rehousing and Homelessness Prevention and other Housing Programs
- Casa Marianella
- Downtown Austin Community Court
- Foundation Communities
- Foundation for the Homeless
- Front Steps
- Integral Care
- Saint Louise House
- Salvation Army- Downtown Shelter and Social Service Center