Happy New Year to you!
I wanted to share a few of the top moments you made possible in 2018 and give you a glance at what we’re working on in 2019.
All of us at Family Eldercare wish you health and happiness in the coming year.
Kent Herring, CEO
A Look Back at 5 Great Moments of 2018
1. You helped build relationships between passionate Family Eldercare advocates and our community’s most vulnerable, overlooked members. Your investment ensured we could dedicate more than 150,000 service hours keeping seniors, veterans, and adults with disabilities safe from abuse, housed in supportive communities, and protected throughout their journey of aging.
2. Together, we amplified lives during Amplify Austin’s 24-hours of giving. Your generosity funded more than 2,200 hours dedicated to ensuring seniors, veterans, and neighbors live the best lives possible.
3. The 2018 Summer Fan Drive provided a record 7,400+ fans to seniors, adults with disabilities, and families with children in 14 counties. Thanks to your generosity, we were also able to donate 400+ fans to aid in Hurricane Florence recovery efforts. We also introduced our new campaign Fans For Paws which highlights our efforts to help seniors and their animal companions with fans and other services.
4. Our client Keith was selected to be profiled in the Statesman’s Season for Caring campaign. Keith is a hard-worker who didn’t let his Cerebral Palsy stop him from living life to the best of his ability. With his dog, Gunner at his side, Keith is most comfortable getting his hands dirty working on his car. He loves his job keeping the grounds of Westwood High School in great shape. He has received supplies for Gunner, a new garage door, and various repairs to his home. He has enjoyed meeting new people and making friends with members of our community who are looking in on him.
5 You made the Holiday Giving Drive a great success. More than 400 seniors and adults with disabilities received holiday gifts. Many of our seniors are alone for the holidays. The best gift of all was having volunteers spend a little time with them as they dropped off gifts. Thank you to Holiday Giving drive donors, Secret Santas who purchased and dropped off gifts, Express Elves who purchased gifts, Workshop Elves who wrapped gifts, and our Rudolphs who dropped gifts off when we needed transportation help.
Coming to You in 2019
• Coming March 7, 2019, our 80 Over Eighty celebration breakfast seeks to discover, share, and celebrate the stories of Central Texans who are age 80+ and living life to the fullest. We are proud to announce that our friend, KXAN’s Jim Spencer will emcee.
• Family Eldercare is thrilled to announce two new funding awards that will help us reach and help more homeless seniors and veterans. Our Benefits Enrollment Center grant will allow us to join a national network that connects low-income folks with services. Our Rapid Rehousing grant will help fund our year-long initiative to move 30 veterans and seniors from homeless to housed.
• SNEAK PEAKS-We look forward to releasing a special Family Eldercare mini-documentary series in the next few months. And, while we are sad to hear about the closing of Threadgill’s iconic downtown location, we are excited to begin planning a new Fans From Fans event this June.